My current book, Her Shameful Secret, is set in Rome and here's a taste of Italy for readers! Granita is an Italian frozen treat and Limoncello is a lemon liqueur from Italy that is traditionally served cold.
~ ~ ~
Microplane rasp, grater or zester
A shallow baking dish that can go in the freezer
1 cup sugar
4 to 5 lemons -- you will use the zest and juice
1/2 cup Limoncello
1. Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the liquid thickens to a syrup consistency.
2. Turn off the heat and let the simple syrup cool.
3. Zest the lemons before you cut and juice them. The lemons will produce at least a cup of juice.
4. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/2 cup of Limoncello and another cup of water in the saucepan.
5. Pour the liquid into the baking dish and place the dish in the freezer.
6. Remove the pan from the freezer every hour and scrape the forming ice with the tines of a fork.
7. Many granita recipes suggest freezing for 8 hours. I find that the dessert is usually ready at the 4 hour mark.
8. Scoop the granita in individual glasses or small bowls and eat immediately. Serves 4 to 6 people.
* No Limoncello? Use hard lemonade, a fruity white wine or more water.
* Add 1/4 cup finely chopped mint with the lemon zest for a more complex flavor.
* Instead of a baking dish, freeze the liquid in ice cube trays. Once the ice cubes are solid, chop them up in a blender or food processor. The texture will be coarser.
| || |
Isabella Williams would know those expensive shoes and that arrogant swagger anywhere. After months of hiding, Antonio Rossi has found her!
The cravings that she'd thought buried come flooding back, and with them the taste of regret--for her mistake means she'll never kiss his lips again. But now she has more than just herself to think about and, hand cradling her stomach, she faces his wrath.
Antonio might have masked his reasons for approaching her with business, but his need for her is entirely personal. And that's before he discovers her secret….
~ ~ ~